The VSCPA encourages speakers to take an interactive approach to boost audience participation whenever possible and appropriate. Below are a few examples of what we are looking for in your presentation. The VSCPA will discuss these options with you further.
- Case Study: Provide a case study on a topic where an organization has exemplified the topic on which you are presenting.
- Interactive: The speaker acts more as a moderator as the attendees interact with one another on a topic. (i.e. game, debate, etc.)
- Panel with Q&A: Three or four speakers presenting on a topic allowing for questions from attendees.
- Flipped Classroom: A form of blended learning in which students learn content online by watching video lectures, usually at home, and what used to be homework (assigned problems) is now done in class with teachers and students discussing and solving questions with more personalized guidance and interaction with students, instead of lecturing.
Repeat each question before answering to make certain all attendees hear the question prior to your explanation.
Be conscious of your allotted timeframe to avoid running into the next speaker’s session.
Mistakes to avoid:
- Be mindful of your speaking time. Attendees may not receive full credit if your session ends early.
- Please make sure your presentation is interactive (refer to the delivery techniques above).
- Please do not promote the services or products of your firm or company. You may ask attendees to see you after the session for more information.
- Avoid polarizing comments including racial, political or religious references and sexist remarks.
The VSCPA encourages you to post on social media about your upcoming speaking engagement! Before posting, please use the hashtag #VSCPA or the specific conference hashtag (will be provided in advance).
If you have a presence in social media, please indicate it on your speaker confirmation form.
The VSCPA Marketing Team uses articles, blogs, video clips, interviews and other materials to help market conferences. If you have any materials you feel would help promote the event and/or add value to your session, please contact the Conference Manager for more information. We would be happy to discuss these opportunities.
Connect is the VSCPA's members-only online community. If you have a white paper, video clips or other materials to help engage attendees before the seminar or conference begins, please email the Conference Manager.
Sponsors & Exhibitors
The VSCPA is always looking for sponsors and exhibitors to help make these events successful. If you have any recommendations, please contact the Conference Specialist.
Professional business attire is recommended for all speaking engagements.