For Immediate Release
Contact: David Bass
Richmond (May 22, 2018) — The Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA) announced the winners of its Outstanding Member of the Year and Top 5 Members Under 35 at an awards ceremony prior to the annual business meeting May 10 in Richmond.
The Outstanding Member of the Year Award recognizes a CPA member who has provided outstanding service to the profession through participation in VSCPA activities, civic engagement and charitable activities that promote a positive image of accounting and the CPA profession. Harry Dickinson, CPA, Ph.D., of Fredericksburg, was named the 2018 recipient.
Dickinson is a retired partner at Bishop, Farmer & Co. (formerly Bowling, Franklin & Co.) in Fredericksburg, where he worked after a distinguished career in academia as an accounting professor at the University of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University. He has served on the boards of directors for the VSCPA (1991–1994) and the VSCPA Political Action Committee (1994–2001). He has served on numerous VSCPA committees and task forces including Professional Ethics, Strategic Planning, Membership and Insurance committees as well as the Accounting & Auditing Advisory and Young Professionals and Disclosures Editorial Task Force. He was appointed to the Virginia Board of Accountancy in 2002, where he helped spearhead the rewrite of the Commonwealth’s accounting regulations and the institution of the ethics CPE requirement. Dickinson is a graduate of the University of Virginia and the University of Georgia.
The Top 5 Under 35 Award recognizes CPA young professionals under the age of 35 that have notable professional achievement, VSCPA accomplishment on the state or chapter level, community contribution and/or dedication to the CPA profession. The 2018 recipients include:
- Tommy Blackburn, CPA, 30, is a senior financial planner at Verus Financial Partners in Richmond. He is a member of the VSCPA’s Young Professionals Advisory Council and volunteers for the VSCPA’s NBC 12 Tax Call-In program. He is a graduate of Virginia Tech.
- Carman Faison, CPA, 35, is senior manager at Mitchell Wiggins in Petersburg. Faison works with the VSCPA on student outreach, presenting to Beta Alpha Psi chapters across the Commonwealth and presents on topics for continuing professional education. She is a graduate of the VSCPA's Leadership Academy and earned her degree at Longwood University.
- Kellie Fedkenheuer, CPA, 31, is an audit manager at Cotton & Co. in Alexandria. Fedkenheuer is an instructor for the VSCPA's Virginia-Specific Ethics course. She serves as a VSCPA Ambassador at her firm, served as a MentorMatch mentor and on the Business Valuation, Fraud & Litigation Services Conference planning committee. She is a graduate of James Madison University.
- Brandon Pope, CPA, 25, is senior associate, business & advisory services at Keiter in Glen Allen. Pope has been a VSCPA MentorMatch mentor and mentee and recently took over as chair of the VSCPA’s Young Professionals Advisory Council. He is a graduate of Virginia Tech.
- Jonny Rosch, CPA, 34, is audit and assurance manager at PBMares in Warrenton.Rosch serves as the VSCPA’s Battlefield Chapter secretary and past member of the VSCPA Young Professionals Advisory Council. He also attended the VSCPA Leaders' Institute as a student member in 2008. He is a graduate of Virginia Tech.
The Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA) is the leading professional association in the Commonwealth dedicated to empowering CPAs to thrive. Founded in 1909, the VSCPA has 13,000 members who work in public accounting, industry, government and education. For more information, please visit the News Room on the VSCPA website at vscpa.com, email [email protected] or call (804) 612-9440. To search for a CPA in your geographic region, visit vscpa.com/FindaCPA.