For Immediate Release
Contact: David Bass
Richmond (June 1, 2019) — The Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA) announced the winners of its 2019 Outstanding Member and Top 5 Members Under 35 at an awards ceremony prior to its annual business meeting May 16 in Richmond.
The Outstanding Member Award recognizes a CPA member who has provided outstanding service to the profession through participation in VSCPA activities, civic engagement and charitable activities that promote a positive image of accounting and the CPA profession. Vivian J. Paige, CPA, of Norfolk, was named the 2019 recipient.
Paige is a sole proprietor and senior lecturer in accounting at Old Dominion University (ODU) in Norfolk. She has been an asset to the VSCPA’s advocacy efforts for years including this past year’s efforts to get tax conformity passed at the Virginia General Assembly. Paige was the primary author of the VSCPA’s whitepaper “Virginia Tax Conformity: 2018 and Beyond.” Paige consulted on member resources, participated in an explanatory podcast and helped lead a conformity session at the VSCPA’s E-Summit conference. Paige also contributes to accounting education by consulting with textbook companies and providing technical guidance. Paige was recently named one of ODU’s three distinguished teachers for 2019. She currently chairs the VSCPA’s Tax Advisory Committee and is an incoming member of the VSCPA Political Action Committee Board of Trustees. She is a graduate of ODU.
The Top 5 Under 35 Award recognizes CPA young professionals under the age of 35 that have notable professional achievement, VSCPA accomplishment on the state or chapter level, community contribution and/or dedication to the CPA profession. The 2019 recipients are:
- Asif Charania, CPA, 32, is a senior manager, valuation & forensic services at Keiter in Glen Allen. He served as chair of the VSCPA’s Young Professionals Advisory Council and served on the VSCPA’s LEAD Task Force and the Business Valuation, Fraud & Litigation Services Conference Committee. He is a graduate of James Madison University.
- JJ Edmunds, CPA, 29, is an audit and assurance Supervisor at PBMares in Richmond. Edmunds is the incoming chair of the VSCPA’s Young Professionals Advisory Committee and has participated in the Society’s CPAs in the Classroom program and the Society’s General Assembly lobby days during CPA Assembly Week. He is a graduate of Christopher Newport University.
- Genevieve Hancock, CPA, 32, is corporate revenue recognition leader at Brown and Brown Insurance in Daytona Beach, Fla. Hancock serves on the VSCPA’s Disclosures Magazine Editorial Task Force and coordinates a bimonthly column targeted at and written by young professionals. She is a graduate of the College of William & Mary.
- Beth Seger, CPA, 30, is a managing consultant at Berkeley Research Group in Washington, D.C. Seger has worked with her prior firm’s school partnership program and currently works with high school students on their resumes and conducting mock interviews. She received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees from James Madison University.
- LaKrisha Watson, CPA, 29, is a tax manager at Dixon Hughes Goodman in Richmond. Watson serves on the Junior Achievement of Central Virginia young professional board. She is a graduate of the University of Richmond with a master’s degree from Virginia Commonwealth University.
The Virginia Society of Certified Public Accountants (VSCPA) is the leading professional association in the Commonwealth dedicated to empowering CPAs to thrive. Founded in 1909, the VSCPA has more than 13,000 members who work in public accounting, industry, government and education. For more information, please visit the Press Room on the VSCPA website at vscpa.com, email [email protected] or call (804) 612-9440.