Virginia CPA Week is hitting double digits! Next week, Sept. 16–22, 2018, marks the 10th iteration of the VSCPA's annual celebration of the contributions CPAs make to Virginia's citizens and businesses. We first introduced the event as part of our Centennial anniversary in 2009, when Gov. Tim Kaine signed a proclamation recognizing the first CPA Week. Now we've got Gov. Ralph Northam's proclamation in hand, and we're ready to help you celebrate, too!
In his proclamation, Northam notes, "CPAs in Virginia draw upon their unique knowledge and experiences to provide sound, reliable financial counsel in order to protect and promote the growth of business, the soundness of government operations, the excellence of higher education, and the confidence of investors in the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the United States of America."
VSCPA Board of Directors Chair Richard Groover, CPA, said, "We would like to extend our sincere thanks to Gov. Northam for his acknowledgement of Virginia CPAs and the vital contributions they make to the Commonwealth."
The commemorative week is intended to build awareness of the growth and importance of the CPA profession and the VSCPA, which now serves 13,500 members. Here's what we're doing to help you celebrate:
- Each day, we'll post testimonials from VSCPA members on why they became CPAs. Find these personal statements on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages.
- We've created special headers for our social media pages to celebrate the week.
- We're expanding CPA Day of Service to encompass the entire year as part of our #CPAsGiveBack initiative and will publicize any submissions we receive from our members and firms.
- All week long, we'll be spreading the word to media, businesses and consumers across the state to make sure CPAs get the recognition they deserve.
CPAs across Virginia can participate by:
- Volunteering: While we don't have the standalone CPA Day of Service anymore, we'll still promote your service projects through the #CPAsGiveBack initiative. Please email pictures and videos of your service projects to VSCPA Communications Manager Chip Knighton and Student & Member Engagement Specialist Lauren Simonetti so we can publicize your work!
- Alerting the press: A press release template (DOC) is available to help alert local media to Virginia CPA Week.
- Recognizing CPAs: CPAs at firms and companies across the state will be recognized by their employers.
- Showing pride: CPA-themed goodies are available at cafepress.com/vscpa. Proceeds benefit the VSCPA Educational Foundation!
- Giving back to the profession: CPAs can make gifts to the VSCPA Educational Foundation or the VSCPA Political Action Committee (VSCPA PAC) in honor of CPA Week.
- Spreading the word: A downloadable logo is available below for use on websites, email signatures, social media headers, etc.
Questions? Contact VSCPA Public Affairs & Communications Director David Bass at (804) 612-9440.