Each year, VSCPA members nominate individuals in six award categories recognizing professional and personal accomplishments, service and innovation. The VSCPA proudly recognizes the award winners annually.
You can show your support for these accomplishments by sponsoring the Honors & Awards Ceremony, learn more about sponsorship opportunities here.
- The Outstanding Member Award recognizes a VSCPA member who has provided outstanding service to the profession through participation in VSCPA activities, civic engagement and charitable activities that further a positive image of the profession.
- The Top 5 Under 35 Award recognizes young VSCPA members who have shown excellence in one or more of the following: professional achievement, VSCPA chapter accomplishment, community contribution or dedication to the CPA profession.
- The Ruth Coles Harris Advancing Diversity & Inclusion Award, sponsored by Keiter, recognizes a VSCPA member who champions diversity and inclusion in the field of accounting by doing one or more of the following:
- Plans & implements organizational initiatives to help ensure a diverse & inclusive workplace environment
- Champions policies and programs aimed at improving diversity in the profession
- Demonstrates leadership and commitment to raising awareness of diversity principles
- Serves as a role model for current and future CPAs through mentorship, coaching or other types of volunteer work in the community
- The Impact Award recognizes a VSCPA member who has made a recent contribution to the advancement of the profession with innovation & disruption in the areas of technology, talent, learning, advocacy or student activities.
The Women to Watch Awards highlight the accomplishments of women in the profession and demonstrate to emerging female leaders that success is not out of reach. There will be one winner for each category:
Emerging Leader: Defined as a professional who has made significant contributions to the profession and her community, but who has not yet reached the highest levels of advancement.
Experienced Leader: Defined a one who has advanced to a higher level or leadership position within the organization. Titles include, but are not limited to, partner, owner, elected official or appointee, executive, etc.
Past Award Recipients
Outstanding Member Award
Ruth Coles Harris Advancing Diversity & Inclusion Award
Top 5 Members Under 35 Award
2021: Amanda DiStasio, CPA, Optimal Accounting, Suffolk
Victor Geagla, CPA, Baker Tilly, Tysons
Iris Laws, CPA, DHG, Richmond
Brad Lester, CPA, Brown Edwards, Roanoke
Evan Wrinkle, CPA, WellsColeman, Richmond
2020: Meet the winners
William Barber Jr., CPA, PFS, Foundation Companies, LLC, Fredericksburg
Brian Benson, CPA, Ernst & Young, Richmond
John Reynolds, CPA, Block.one LLC, Blacksburg
Lauren Sipple, CPA, CGFM, KPMG, Washington, DC
John Waters, CPA, Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer, PC, Norfolk
2019: Meet the winners
Asif Charania, CPA, Keiter, Glen Allen
JJ Edmunds, CPA, PBMares, Richmond
Genevieve Hancock, CPA, Brown and Brown Insurance, Daytona Beach, Fla.
Beth Seger, CPA, Berkeley Research Group, Washington
LaKrisha Watson, CPA, Dixon Hughes Goodman, Richmond